Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Whatever happened to train travel !

The Train ride,back from home, this time around was very different. Different because it beat my expectations on the speed of change.

To me train journey was about sitting on the aisle seat looking at the landscape, Reading a book, Chatting with fellow passengers, Observing the chai walla and letting the thoughts meander . I did exactly the same this time around only to realise that I was the only romantic :-).

Gadgets had taken over the my coach, cutting across pyshcographics as well as demographics.

Private screenings of movies on laptops, music on iphone, Continous phone calls and beat this !!... a 70 year old grandmom doing aarti from her phone ring tone!

It seemed like there was a pressure to get oneself entertained. Not even a minute should go by without it. With 100% mobile connectivity and power connections in the trains what else was I expecting !!!


The other interesting observation was the change in profile of travellers in the 2nd AC compartment. for general information, the ticket cost was 1400 Rs. Cheap airlines would cost around 3 to 3.5 K. Who are these people who are wanting to save 1500 Rs for extra 16 hours of travel ! have a think and let me know:-)

No comments: